What I Blog About
Life Adventures With Vision Loss
A Big welcome to all my new readers at Amy’s Adventures!
In this blog, I talk about coping with progressive vision and hearing loss as well as my faith. I share stories of my life, which I view as an adventure. No two days are the same when vision and hearing is constantly in flux. Although ‘adventure’ may be an overused term nowadays, it fits my outlook. Too many who suffer this hidden genetic disease feel helpless and trapped and choose to stay at home.
I want to serve as a catalyst in the positive wind of change to blow over the vision-impaired community and sighted world alike to bridge understanding.
For this challenge–and also this year–I will blog about five topics: each of my books, culture and other countries along with having an interview with a vision-impaired individual that models positive living. This is the breakdown:
- #1 Work-in-Progress (WIP), Cane Confessions: The Lighter Side to Mobility. These excerpts offer glimpses into some international tales (some may refer to them as scandals!) before I ever had a long white cane. Others invite you into my brand new world with my “stick.” Others may reveal confidence and independence as I developed more confidence with it. They’re light and fun and insightful.
- #2 WIP: Second Sight: When Physical Vision Blurs, Spiritual Vision Comes Into High Definition. (still refining subtitle). The tales will offer humor and insight into my sometimes zany vision loss experiences but include a faith take-away.
- #3 WIP Don Bovaird, The Tree Man (tentative title) Coming this summer.
This will feature excerpts from my father’s book. If not an excerpt, at least an update on it. He was a dreamer, a builder and an entrepreneur. The contents include his lifelong passion for old cars *which in his later years, he stretched into limos and created a business around. You’ll read about his strong work ethic, gentle humor and rapport with the community. Dad also knew a lot about trees trees, both planting and cutting them down. He learned the art of decorative pruning of arborvitae bushes and created arches, and other distinctive arrangements.
You’ll discover his unique and upbeat personality along with two unforgettable dogs and a ’39 Ford truck with an old horn that has the town honking in a good way about Don Bovaird.
4. On Wednesdays, I have a column called “Where in the World…” that my readers enjoy. For a couple of months, I cut down on my blogging to once a week to give me time to write my books. But that’ll be a regular feature weekly addition now. Since my former ESL *English as a Second Language) teaching career involved living overseas, I like to feature stories of other cultures.
5. On Fridays, I have a column called “Friday Friends. Spotlight on …” When I find people that inspire me with vision and or hearing loss, I like to interview them to inform and inspire my readers and me.
The rest of the time, I’ll blog about cooking adventures, my family, the Lions Club, and my first book, Mobility Matters. I hope to even have a surprise announcement to you sometime this month!
Which of my topics most interests you? Are you a blogger? If so, what topics do you feature in your blog? What types of reading do you enjoy?
That’s all for today! Have a wonderful afternoon and don’t forget to take a moment and leave a message. It makes my day to hear from my readers!
You have just read, “What Do I Blog About?” by Amy L. Bovaird. Copyright January 2, 2015. Take a moment and leave a comment. Get the convo’ started!