Happy Anniversary, Mobility Matters!
Five Hills on the Roller Coaster Ride
35-Day Challenge, Day 22; Ultra / Ultimate Blog Challenge, Day 4
A year ago today when my book went live on Amazon and Kindle. I went giddy with excitement! The technician had just told me that it sometimes took up to 2 weeks. But for me, it went live immediately. I couldn’t believe my good fortune!
It has been a roller coaster ride with ups and downs in sales. I’ve had to trust that God will care for me in the low valleys when my sales were few and my expenses were high.
Most writers don’t quit their day job until they have a solid track record of payment coming in. But that’s what I did.
I’ve been holding onto the bar with all my might so I don’t fly out of the car when it whooshes down the roller coaster from the steep incline. You know those butterflies that invade your stomach? I had ’em.
I held on tight so I don’t fall backwards when it’s chugging uphill. I’m still hanging on now! I wonder what new twists or turns I’ll take in my second year?
Today I want to tell you about five steep hills I had fun riding down with the car going full speed and gravity making it go swiftly.
- Dinner in the Dark – About five months into the ride, I received a phone call asking if I would consider being one of three speakers for Dinner in the Dark and Leader Dogs. Hosted by the Lions Club, it combines a meal where sighted people are blindfolded in order to understand the challenges of the blind with a fundraiser for leader dogs (Dogs trained to help the blind). It thrilled me to have this platform to share my story and faith.
- Area Book Club – Even though it makes perfect sense I would speak to members of a book club, I didn’t think of that when I was writing my book. It was such a blessing to speak to the welcoming members, who were mainly former teachers. They listened to my enthusiastic chatter about my adventures and street crossings with my cane. I even encountered my fourth grade teacher who heard I was going to speak!
- Lecom Health and Wellness Expo – What an honor to be invited as an author to the huge Expo hosted by the leading training hospital in my area. Being included among the many service care providers made me realize how important eye care is in the scheme of health. What a platform God gave me to share my story!
- Lions Clubs – Becoming a member of the Lions Club is allowing me to partner with those who care about individuals with vision loss. They’re service-oriented and thanks to them, I now have my initial funding for my audio book. Production will begin this week! If I work hard, it may be complete in time for Christmas!
- WCTL Radio Station Blogger – I’ve recently been given the opportunity to be a member of a local Christian radio station blogging team. It will expand my reader platform to potentially thousands of people and enable me to share the story of hope God has put on my heart as well as offer practical tips to move people forward.
It has been an exciting year! I hope Cane Confessions, the new book I’m working on, will continue to expand my reach as I carry the positive message of hope with humor and work to develop insights between the sighted and vision-impaired / blind community that I stared by publishing Mobility Matters: Stepping Out in Faith.
What goal are you most proud of that you’ve persisted in bringing to completion? Share it in the Comments below.
You’ve just read “Happy Anniversary, Mobility Matters!” by Amy L. Bovaird. Copyright October 4, 2015. Please take a few minutes to leave a comment below.